DraftKings has long been a trendsetter in the world of sports gambling. First as one of the premier daily fantasy sports operators, then as the first sportsbook app in the US to take bets beyond the borders of Nevada.
That operation in New Jersey has been highly successful and provides a positive preview of what’s to come from DraftKings Sportsbook operating in California.
DraftKings Sportsbook in California
Fantasy sports giant DraftKings has partnered with Caesars – another big name in the world of gambling – to bring the DraftKings Sportsbook to the many states in which Caesars operates a property. That includes California.
DraftKings is established in California with its many daily fantasy sports games. As the gambling laws continue to change across the country, allowing full sports gaming, DraftKings will eventually run its sportsbook in the Golden State, too.
DraftKings CA bonus code
DraftKings has been operating a sportsbook in New Jersey for some time. Taking a look at what they do in the Garden State can give us some idea of what they might offer in California.
Currently, new enrollees at DraftKings NJ receive a matching bet of up to $500 upon making their first bet. That bonus bet must be within 30 days of appearing in the player’s account, and the total of that bonus is not included in any winnings. The customer also can’t withdraw that money and must wager it instead.
DraftKings Sportsbook in California will probably offer a similar initial bet bonus.
DraftKings Sportsbook app in CA
DraftKings may not have a lot of experience running a sportsbook, but it is no stranger to mobile connectivity.
The company has been running a daily fantasy sports mobile app for years, which requires the same speed and reliability needed for a sportsbook app.
The app DraftKings runs in New Jersey features quick links to popular sports, sports on the schedule happening at the moment, a comprehensive list of every sport and event on which you can wager, and connections to your account.
You can also get a brief scouting report on each matchup as well as the direction the point spread or odds have been moving.
Sports selection at DraftKings Sportsbook
One of the first things that a sportsbook must figure out is the different sports that it will offer. Because DraftKings offers fantasy games on 11 different professional sports, it’s safe to assume that as its offerings expand into sports gambling, its sports reach will also expand.
- Basketball: With the Lakers last decade and the Warriors this decade, it seems the NBA title always runs through California. There’s also a college program in Los Angeles that boasts its share of titles. Basketball is an obvious offering for DraftKings in the Golden State.
- Hockey: Ever since Wayne Gretzky became a California resident, the state has been a hotspot for NHL growth as well as huge fan growth. Hockey is a great sport to gamble on, and it will likely be available at DraftKings CA.
- Baseball: California is home to five Major League teams – far more than any other state. Baseball is also the original fantasy sport, which makes it a natural for a new DraftKings sportsbook.
- Football: Football is the biggest sport in fantasy and the most popular one to bet on at DraftKings’ existing sportsbooks. There’s nothing like putting money into a game that also features your top fantasy players.
- Golf: If America were to have a national golf course, it would be Pebble Beach. On TV, golf might be considered boring. However, if you put some money down on the PGA Championship, it’s now Sunday, and the final group is on the 18th green, this sport will be anything but boring. Golf is set to be offered by DraftKing in the Golden State.
- MMA: Previous DraftKings ventures have provided a full slate of MMA and UFC betting options. Considering these sports’ massive popularity in California, the sportsbook in the Golden State is likely to follow suit.
Additional sports and leagues
DraftKings likely will allow California customers to bet on cricket, darts, cycling, motor racing, tennis, soccer, rugby, Aussie rules football and more. If you’re a fan of wagering on some of the less popular worldwide sports, DraftKings will probably have you covered.
Bets you can place at DraftKings Sportsbook
Along with sports to bet on, every great sportsbook must offer a variety of wagering options. DraftKings does exactly that at its current sportsbooks, and California players can look forward to the same.
- Point spread: The point spread bet is the most common of team bets, the bread and butter of both the sportsbook and sports gambler. Points are given, points are taken and grownups have been known to cry because of free-throws in the final seconds of a tight NBA playoff game. DraftKings is sure to bring this bet type to California.
- Moneyline: A straight win/loss bet with no points. Instead of a point spread, each team receives odds. DraftKings has also been known to give moneyline bonuses, making this type of bet even more attractive. Moneyline bets are all but certain to be available at the new California sportsbook.
- Over/Under: Another basic single game bet is the over/under, also known as a totals bet. The bookmaker sets a line for the combined total points scored by both teams, and the bettor chooses to bet either over or under that line. You can expect totals bets to be on the menu once the sportsbook hits the California market.
- Parlay: Parlays take multiple event bets and combine them into one single wager, payable if all the bets hit. This gives a much higher chance of a losing bet, but with a bigger payoff for a win. DraftKings will undoubtedly offer parlays in the Golden State.
- Prop bets: Bets inside a sporting event are known as proposition bets. Which team will score first? How many touchdowns will Todd Gurley score? These bets are fun to make but not a solid plan to make money. When Super Bowl Sunday rolls around, the fun of prop bets hits its zenith.
Other bet types
DraftKings is also set to offer California customers futures bets (wagers on events yet to take place, like a World Series), teasers (which allow players to shift point spreads in their favor), and in-play wagering.
In-play wagering involves placing bets on events that are already in progress. These bets come with changing odds, second chance multipliers, halftime totals, and many possible in-game buyouts as the event progresses.
DraftKings Sportsbook promotions and incentives
Sportsbooks offer customers promotions and incentives because the playing field is competitive – and they want your business. New sportsbooks like DraftKings are deep in the promotions business as they don’t yet boast an established customer base. This reality is to the savvy player’s advantage.
Along with the $500 bonus bet promotion that DraftKings consistently offers its new customers, regular odds boosts on moneyline bets should also be on offer in California. DraftKings CA is also likely to grant $25 in free bonus bets for each person you refer that opens an account, makes a deposit and places a bet.
The sports calendar will dictate some of the promotions that DraftKings offers its players.
The new sportsbook should offer basketball insurance on moneyline bets. You would win your bet of up to $50 even if your team loses as long as it was the first to score 100 points.
We expect baseball moneyline insurance to work similarly. If your team scores five runs but loses, you will likely receive a credit of up to $25 for a win. Each insurance type will likely require you to opt-in when placing the bet.
As the calendar changes, so will these promotions.
DraftKings Sportsbook software
DraftKings’ partnership with Caesars isn’t the only big name connection helping the company build its sportsbook brand.
DraftKings also struck a multiyear deal with Kambi to provide its gaming and platform technology.
Kambi is a worldwide player in the sportsbook industry, operating sports betting platforms in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia. It’s this technology that makes mobile apps nimble enough to deal with hundreds of changing numbers at any given moment.
DraftKings Sportsbook rewards program
DraftKings does not run any rewards or loyalty programs. However, as a partner with Caesars in California, DraftKings may start offering one. Caesars Rewards is one of the most dynamic rewards programs in the industry.
Like many rewards programs, Caesars Rewards is point-based, with the accrual of points coming with dollars spent on bets. The more points, the greater the rewards, which include an escalating level of free plays.
One thing that Caesars Rewards offers that other loyalty programs don’t is its current biweekly travel package. Every two weeks, the company awards a current Caesars Rewards member with an all-expenses-paid trip to one of its many resorts.
There haven’t been any announcements about Caesars Rewards coming to DraftKings in California. However, this would be a great way for DraftKings to draw in new customers when its sportsbook goes live.
The pros of DraftKings Sportsbook
DraftKings has been in the daily fantasy sports game for years, which puts them in tune with the betting trends that are most appealing to customers. Paired with the power and experience of Caesars, this is very promising.
DraftKings has also been front and center in the many legal discussions taking place at the state level all across the country. Not only does this give the company an intimate understanding of the sports gambling laws that are being passed; it grants it the opportunity to help shape those laws.
The cons of the DraftKings Sportsbook
DraftKings made its name in daily fantasy sports. Can it fully transition into a complete sports gambling operator, though? Will the laws that California eventually adopts fit the experience that DraftKings has gained with the sportsbooks it operates elsewhere in the country? California is the crown jewel of state markets. Can DraftKings separate itself from the pack of operators that are sure to flock to the state?
DraftKings has had a big year, and it has a great partner in Caesars. However, the questions above still need to be answered.
Managing your finances at DraftKings Sportsbook
One major requirement for a sportsbook is to make the moving of money in and out of your account as straightforward as possible.
At its current sportsbooks, DraftKings gives you the option to make both deposits and withdrawals on the website and through the mobile app.
Security is the top priority when depositing money into an electronic account. Online bill pay is the best way to keep your account secure as your account number is never shared.
As is standard throughout the industry, you should also be able to fund your account by credit and debit card, PayPal and personal check. A check will result in a processing delay of several days.
If you use one of the electronic options, then withdrawing your money is likely to be as simple as reversing the deposit process. DraftKings should send the money back to you instantaneously. Conversely, a check in the mail always comes with processing delays.
DraftKings customer support
Finding customer service should be easy through both DraftKings’ website and app. DraftKing is set to offer California customers 24-hour support by online chat, telephone and email.
We also expect an extensive user’s guide and FAQ section that should make it easy for customers to troubleshoot most issues they might encounter.